Friday, November 9, 2012

What's The Point?!?!


This seems to be the questions running through the Koehne household. I was approached by one of my children recently in a very tender moment where I was asked "Mom, what is the point of doing papers, going to school and getting an education? How does all of this glorify God and further His Kingdom? I just want to glorify God in all I do." I was also asked "What about a teenager or college student who does all this stuff and then dies, did they waste their time when they should have been doing Kingdom work?" Those are heavy questions from a young adult and one that ironically, I and have been struggling with as well in a different context. The answer for me and the answer I gave lies in the scripture in the Word of God. It is the only authority in answering this question "What's the Point?"

Crazy as it is, being asked this question was a healing moment for me as well. So as I tell my children that it's not about the degrees, it's not about what college you go to, the papers, the games or in my case getting on the radio, getting music gigs or getting signed to a recording label. It's so much more than that. 

And since it's not really about the degree or the homework, it IS about the discipline that those things teach you in life which in turn teaches you discipline in your spiritual life and your walk with Christ. Sometimes we are asked to do things that we just don't feel like, but because we are people that have learned to honor and respect, when Christ asks us to step out in faith, we learn more quickly to trust, to walk, to hear and to listen.

I believe that it's about the journey along the way. I believe it's about seeing your classmates and learning to love them, to be light, to show forgiveness when no one else does. To live one's walk daily in the classroom and to do it all for the glory of God. To look in our hearts, to examine our hearts in line with the Truth of Christ and that during the journey we see each day as an time to love others in the places that we have an opportunity to be...in the classroom, on the job, at home and in our neighborhood.

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Do not cause anyone to stumble,whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God— even as I try to please everyone in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved." I Corinthians 10:31-33


My prayer today was simple. "Lord, I want to follow you." I want to follow Christ and love Him and love others. The rest....the music...the singing, recording, writing, working is simply a means of doing that and what I learn and share along the way is a blessing. For my children...going to school, doing homework so that, Lord willing, they can have more doors opened so they are able to impact more people for Christ is a part of their journey  It's all part of the journey in lifting Christ high..learning to decrease myself that He might increase.

"He must become greater; I must become less." John 3:30
What's the point? To Love God and Love others, to make disciples, to be a disciple, to be a faithful follower of Christ, What's the point?..to expand the Kingdom of God so that all might know His love and be saved...and sometimes you have to sit in a classroom, write papers and take tests to have the wonderful opportunity to do that. Praise be to God!


And Now for your enjoyment....Homework helps us articulate clearly so that we can clearly speak the Truth of Christ Jesus so that others understand what we are saying.






2 comments:

  1. Loving your blog posts Mia! This one was particulary to my heart. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete