Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Forgive ME Lord!



So........ I am doing a little prep work for....you guessed it, MY NEXT ALBUM! While I was researching, surfing, turning many pages, I came across this hymn. I don't think I have ever sung it, BUT I would not be surprised if I had and merely sang right over the words and paid no attention. Lord, Forgive me! Well, it pierced my heart. So I thought I would share the lyrics with you this day.

Forgive us, Lord, for Shallow Thankfulness 
By, William Watkins Reid, Sr.

Forgive us, Lord, for shallow thankfulness,
For dull content with warmth and sheltered care,
For songs of praise for food and harvest press,
While of Your richer gifts we're unaware.

Teach us to thank You, Lord, for love and grace,
For life and vision, for a purpose clear,
For Christ Your Son, and for each human face
That shows Your message ever new and near.

Forgive us, Lord, for selfish thanks and praise,
For words that speak at variance with deeds;
Forgive our thanks for walking pleasant ways
Unmindful of a broken brother's needs.

Teach us, O Lord, true thankfulness divine,
That gives as Christ gave, never counting cost,
That knows no barrier of "yours" and "mine,"
Assured that only what's withheld is lost.

Forgive us, Lord, for feast that knows not fast,
For joy in things that meanwhile starve the soul,
For walls and wars that hide Your mercies vast
And blur our vision of the Kingdom goal.

Open our eyes to see Your love's intent,
To know with minds and hearts its depth and height;
May thankfulness be days in service spent,
Reflection of Christ's life and love and light.

No comments:

Post a Comment