Friday, January 21, 2011

Remedy: Remember


Jeremiah 2:13 "My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and they have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water."


It seems that so many of my struggles today come from the same two sins. When I forsake God, when I forget that He is sovereign over every detail of my life, that He holds this whole world in the palm of His hand, when I forget that He knows the plans He has for me and that they are good, when I forget the passion I once had for him, when I forsake speaking to Him about every detail of my life, when I forsake Him, I fall into sin. I fall into doubt. I fall into worry and most of all, I fall into forgetfulness.

Then there are moments of my life when I too dig my own cisterns, my own vessels to carry the living water. I may do this by putting my trust in someone else, in something else. I may run to others first instead of running to the true Spring of Living Water. The vessels that I build out of my own resources crack and fade and lead me to disappointment, frustration and forgetfulness of the One True God, the True Living Water, the one who has no cracks, my Savior and Lord.

Sadly, sometimes I can walk through month like this. I have walked this way, in the past, sometimes for years. As of late, it may be day, a week, or even a moment. Yet, even in those moments it is a still painful reality, a painful memory. It's the pain of the shame of forgetting, but it's a shame that turns me back to the One, the source of all strength, the Bread of Life, the water for my soul.

"The only remedy for forgetting is to remember." What a joy to remember daily what He has done. What a joy to speak of His love for us that caused Him to send His only son to be sin for us, His son, who knew no sin so that we should be called righteous and holy. What pure joy to remember that I am white as snow, even though my sins are as scarlet. What a joy to remember that through faith in Jesus Christ my sins are as far as the east is from the west. What a joy to remember that I am redeemed. Oh to remember and never forget.

What a joy to remember that My Lord sings over me and quites me with His love. What a joy to remember that He is my strength when I am weary, that he is my strong tower and that I, being righteous, can run to Him and I am safe. What a joy to remember that He loves me.

What a joy to remember that he remembers me first and will never leave me or forsake me. What a joy to remember that His love knows no bounds. what a joy to remember that He first loved me and calls me His own and has made me an heir to His kingdom and that His kingdom will know no end. What a joy to remember that His mercies are new every morning and that I am a new creation in Christ Jesus. What a joy to know that He is coming soon.

Who would ever want to forget theses things. Lord Jesus, help me to never forget. Thank you for your love and your faithfulness. To You be all glory, honor and praise, AMEN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment