Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Spirit Of Cotton Award 2014-Bob Koehne



I was debating about writing this today. I have had a horrible migraine all day, the nausea from it has not subsided, the pain is horrible even as I write and my vision is so-so. I am battling a bit of depression and I am easily moved to outbursts of tears for no reason. At the moment, I don't feel much emotion about anything. I just want to crawl up in bed and do nothing. So, why on earth would I choose to write now about the man I love the most and an event that meant the world to me?

I choose to write it now for all those very reasons. It’s easy to write when I am up, have butterflies in my stomach and I am on cloud nine, but today I writing the things I know to be true regardless of emotions.

First of all: Thank you Kelly, Kate, Cindy, Pastor Jeff & Joyce, Jimmy, Jim, Drew, Tom, Glen & Deb, Bob & Linda, Josh & Alison, Matt, Paulie, our children Chris, Aaron & Miriam for seeing in Bob the light of Christ and surrounding our family on a night that, to us and hopefully for you, was a big deal in the Koehne household.

Last night, my family and several people that are dear to my husband and I were treated by The Phoenix Suns to come to the last home basketball game to witness my husband, Bob, receive the Spirit of Cotton award. It’s a big deal. Why? Because there are a lot of awards a coach can receive that reflect on their stats, wins and documented success. This award, however, acknowledges something beyond wins (this was his 2nd losing season in 20 years. go figure!)

“The Spirit of Cotton Award, named in memory of former Suns’ head coach, Cotton Fitzsimmons, who passed away in July 2004, honors a high school coach in Arizona who consistently demonstrates the best qualities of a coach, educator, mentor and community leader.”

This award came because his players and students believed him to be a man that carried those exceptional qualities and shared that with the Suns Charities organization.

As the women that has been married to Bob Koehne for over 20 years, I know firsthand how deserving he is of this award. As a wife it is encouraging when others see what you already know to be true.

From the heart of his son "My dad has been an absolutely amazing coach, mentor, educator, and example to me all my life and I'm so glad he is receiving this award. I can't think of a more deserving man."-Aaron Koehne

With that said. The greatest thing about this award is the way in which my husband received it … “It is a privilege to be able to coach young men each year and teach not only the game of basketball, but more importantly, life lessons. Oftentimes, success in sports is measured in wins and losses, but the longer I coach the more I recognize true success in high school athletics is measured in the development and maturity of the young men I have the opportunity to coach and mentor.”-Bob Koehne

For Bob, this award was not given to him, but to the team and to the school as a testimony to the opportunity and platform that the Lord has given him and so many others to witness and train up the next generation.


Bob is an honorable man, full of integrity, forgiven and forgiving. He has dedicated his life to serve the Lord, to me his wife, to our children, to Christian education and coaching basketball (as evidenced on the night of our middle child’s birth, which I will now publicly admit, that I sent him off to coach the game with my blessing.)


If I seem to be bragging a bit about my husband, it is true. And even if I wanted to, I don’t even have the energy today to exaggerate, simply stating the facts. Even though awards, trophies and accolades will fade the heart of what is true will remain forever. Bob is a forgiven man who loves the Lord and serves those God puts in front of him. He takes his forgiveness and forgives others. He pours into the lives of so many so that they can pour into the lives of others. He is a wonderful man. That is true no matter if I am up or down, on the high side of being bi-polar or the low side. Facts are facts. And for this wife, remembering that in my ups and downs is crucial.

Our reality is that we have nothing to boast in except Jesus Christ and it is because of Him that I boast in what God has done through this man, my husband, your colleague, your coach, your child's coach, your friend, your brother in Christ... Bob Koehne.

Enjoy some more photos from the night. Well done Bob Koehne! Well done Valley Lutheran High School. Soli Deo Gloria

Phoenix Suns Charities Link

Friends that came out (They got to sit in the fun section!)
Friends who came out!
A BIG hug from Joanne Fitzsimmons

Receiving $10,000 to the Valley Lutheran Athletic Dept



Picture of the Ring Bling

Thanks Deb G. for all the pics from the night!





2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Bob !
    In Christ,
    Allie and Mark Hohenstein

    ReplyDelete