Saturday, April 25, 2009

My Father's Abundance

Matthew 7:11-The Message
"Don't bargain with God. Be direct. Ask for what you need. This isn't a cat-and-mouse, hide-and-seek game we're in. If your child asks for bread, do you trick him with sawdust? If he asks for fish, do you scare him with a live snake on his plate? As bad as you are, you wouldn't think of such a thing. You're at least decent to your own children. So don't you think the God who conceived you in love will be even better?

I learned a lesson the other day, on April 22 to be exact, a lesson that completely humbled and awed me. I learned it through the extreme generosity of others to me. I learned that people are willing to give far more than I would have ever asked for. I learned that pride so many times holds me back from even asking and admitting I need help. I learned again about a Father's love for his children.

Through this experience, I was struck at how many times I have gone before my heavenly Father in the same way, too held back by pride to ask for what I really want or need. I am so often to proud to ask him for it all, instead I try to figure most of it out myself and then ask Him to just fill in the parts that I can't figure out. Then, when I do come to him for help He doesn't fill in the missing parts, He does it all. He covers it all, more than I could have ever imagined and He does it freely, willingly and eagerly.

All the time that I spend in what I think to be waiting is more often, Him waiting on me to understand, to remember how He operates, to remember how He does things, to remember His usual way of dealing with men.
Oh Lord, is this how you do things?

Thanks be to God for who He is. It is not about what he has done, although He has done marvelous things. It is just about Who He is and He is Amazing! Thank You, Lord!

2 Samuel 7:18-19
Then King David went in and sat before the LORD, and he said:
"Who am I, O Sovereign LORD, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far? And as if this were not enough in your sight, O Sovereign LORD, you have also spoken about the future of the house of your servant. Is this your usual way of dealing with man, O Sovereign LORD ?

No comments:

Post a Comment